Columbia Sportswear halts marketing to settlers
UPDATES AT BOTTOM
On Nov. 30th, we published a post noting that Columbia Sportswear, a Portland-based manufacturer of fairly high-end outerwear, was running ads in The Jerusalem Post and Makor Rishon touting the value of their jackets “for active work in various regions, including outposts.” The post was picked up and republished the same day by Adam Horowitz of Mondoweiss.
This morning (December 4 2009,) Ron Parham of Columbia Sportswear left this message, promising to discontinue the ads
We investigated and determined that neither the original Hebrew text of the ad created by our independent Israeli distributor, nor the erroneous English translation supplied by the newspaper, was submitted to or approved by Columbia Sportswear as called for by our standard practices.
Columbia Sportswear and our Israeli distributor have agreed to immediately and permanently discontinue the ad, as well as to reinforce our standard pre-approval practices pertaining to all marketing materials in order to avoid such unfortunate errors in the future.
We take all customer feedback seriously and sincerely regret the offense inadvertently created by this ad.
Sr. Director Investor Relations and Corporate Communications
Columbia Sportswear Company
I checked and the ads in both this morning’s Jerusalem Post and Makor Rishon no longer mention the outposts (I’ll put the scans up on Sunday.)
Big deal? I’m not sure. Helena Cobban thinks it is
Some people might consider this to be a trivial issue. But the “normalization” of the whole idea of Israeli settlements and settlement-building– let alone the whole idea of the “outposts” that even the Israeli government considers to be illegal– is by no means trivial to the Palestinians, or to the causes of justice or peacemaking.
I think the bottom line is that when you see a grave wrong being committed in the world, speak your conscience. Your voice– my voice– any of our voices–can indeed make a difference. You never know what a difference your voice, or my voice, can make.
What you do know, is that if you remain silent, then your silence may well be understood as complicity in the wrong that’s being committed.
- Yediot’s Plocker: Thank you Mossad for removing Iranian bomb distraction. Can we move on now?
- “Rejectionist front”: Maariv details Netanyahu’s refusal to directly negotiate with PA
- New Yorker editor David Remnick to Yediot: ‘I can’t take the Occupation anymore’
- Breaking the Silence’s landmark new book, now in English
- Following local pressure, Adidas reconsiders sponsorship of Jerusalem marathon
- Love @GetTaxi_IL as much I do? Use my code: GTLILAC21 for ₪30 off your 1st ride invite.gettaxi.co.il/code/GTLILAC21 4 weeks ago
- Does this not justify the mother of all self-parody alerts? haaretz.com/news/diplomacy… 3 months ago
- After attacks by Jewish fundamentalists, @IsraeliPM says he lied to #Norway Prime Minister about son’s girlfriend | israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx… 6 months ago
- Jewish racial purity NGO slams @IsraeliPM for allowing son to date Norwegian woman. | on.fb.me/1e6wwrO 6 months ago
- Neo-Fascist Im Tirzu movement applauds Scarlett Johansson | on.fb.me/1eV6u8P 6 months ago
- PHOTOS: Neo-fascist Im Tirzu movement welcome rally for #Canada Prime Minister Harper in #Jerusalem | facebook.com/ImTirzuHUJI/po… 7 months ago
- Love DM Yaalon’s “apology": Secretary Kerry is indeed “obsessive” & “messianic” but I didn’t mean to hurt his feelings by saying so. 7 months ago
- RT @MeravMichaeli: בזמן שיעלון הורס את יחסינו עם ארה"ב, "מצב האומה" יצאו לניו יורק בנסיון אחרון לשקם אותם. זה קורה הערב בשמונה, אל תחמיצוht… 7 months ago
- RT @YeshDin: Pictured: Israeli citizens throwing stones at Burin residents, this morning. Full reportage: bit.ly/1j5HiSJ http://t.c… 7 months ago
- By Eretz Nehederet. DM Yaalon: “Leave us be!”; Sec Kerry: “Who’ll pay for your army?” http://t.co/cizYNeKKFD 7 months ago
- Israeli Defense Minister Yaalon: Secretary Kerry is "obsessive" and has "messianic" delusions | bit.ly/1kz9Pl6 7 months ago
- As @Israeli|PM complains about PA incitement, Israel Army Radio station compares Palestinians to cannibals | bit.ly/KeuXwd 7 months ago
- HAPPENING NOW: 10Ks of asylum seekers from #Eritrea & #Sudan in Tel-Aviv’s Rabin Sq to protest persecution by #Israel http://t.co/gwLWxhm5Vg 7 months ago
- Israeli Deputy Defense Minister @DannyDanon vulgarly disses #SecKerry on FB. @IsraeliPM has serious control issues facebook.com/DanonDanny/pos… 9 months ago
- The illustrious diplomats at @IsraelinIreland strike again: Compare UN to Hitler. facebook.com/photo.php?fbid… #Hasbarapocalypse @IsraelMFA 1 year ago
- Government of #Israel launches new self-#BDS campaign: haaretz.com/news/diplomacy… 1 year ago
- Dep Israeli Defense Min accuses US ME Envoy Indyk of ties to Anti-Zionists, says he is unacceptable | on.fb.me/15ZMpw0 1 year ago
- Epic Hasbara fail by @CaptainBarakRaz of @IDFSpokesperson. One-by-one, IDF combat soldiers call him out as a liar: bit.ly/BarakRazLies 1 year ago
- Haaretz: "@NGOMonitor staffer banned from Wikipedia for bias and not revealing his place of work" | haaretz.com/news/features/… 1 year ago
- Tel Aviv presents: Municipal program to prevent Arab boys from dating Jewish girls
- Settler Rabbi publishes "The complete guide to killing non-Jews" -- UPDATED
- Gadi Taub in Yediot: It's the "Zionism of the State" vs. the "Zionism of the Land"
- Harta Barta: Maariv's defense analyst on the emptiness of the peace "process"
- Rabbi Ovadia Yosef on Muslims: “Their religion is as ugly as they are”
- 1948 (4)
- Anti-Semitism and Hasbara (7)
- Christian Zionism (3)
- Diplomacy (117)
- Direct Action (25)
- Foreign Funding of Israeli Right (14)
- Freedom of the Press (3)
- Gaza (8)
- Hasbara (35)
- Human Rights and Jewish Values (9)
- IDF (21)
- Impunity (14)
- Iran (1)
- Israeli Neoconservatism (36)
- Jerusalem (27)
- Jewish Fundamentalism (29)
- One State Reality (10)
- Racism in Israel (5)
- Religious Freedom (10)
- Satire (3)
- Settlement Freeze (17)
- Settler Violence (14)
- Suppression of Dissent (68)
- Syria (2)
- Uncategorized (8)
- Video (3)
- West Bank Law Enforcement (19)