Columbia Sportswear halts marketing to settlers
UPDATES AT BOTTOM
On Nov. 30th, we published a post noting that Columbia Sportswear, a Portland-based manufacturer of fairly high-end outerwear, was running ads in The Jerusalem Post and Makor Rishon touting the value of their jackets “for active work in various regions, including outposts.” The post was picked up and republished the same day by Adam Horowitz of Mondoweiss.
This morning (December 4 2009,) Ron Parham of Columbia Sportswear left this message, promising to discontinue the ads
We investigated and determined that neither the original Hebrew text of the ad created by our independent Israeli distributor, nor the erroneous English translation supplied by the newspaper, was submitted to or approved by Columbia Sportswear as called for by our standard practices.
Columbia Sportswear and our Israeli distributor have agreed to immediately and permanently discontinue the ad, as well as to reinforce our standard pre-approval practices pertaining to all marketing materials in order to avoid such unfortunate errors in the future.
We take all customer feedback seriously and sincerely regret the offense inadvertently created by this ad.
Sr. Director Investor Relations and Corporate Communications
Columbia Sportswear Company
I checked and the ads in both this morning’s Jerusalem Post and Makor Rishon no longer mention the outposts (I’ll put the scans up on Sunday.)
Big deal? I’m not sure. Helena Cobban thinks it is
Some people might consider this to be a trivial issue. But the “normalization” of the whole idea of Israeli settlements and settlement-building– let alone the whole idea of the “outposts” that even the Israeli government considers to be illegal– is by no means trivial to the Palestinians, or to the causes of justice or peacemaking.
I think the bottom line is that when you see a grave wrong being committed in the world, speak your conscience. Your voice– my voice– any of our voices–can indeed make a difference. You never know what a difference your voice, or my voice, can make.
What you do know, is that if you remain silent, then your silence may well be understood as complicity in the wrong that’s being committed.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- Yediot’s Plocker: Thank you Mossad for removing Iranian bomb distraction. Can we move on now?
- “Rejectionist front”: Maariv details Netanyahu’s refusal to directly negotiate with PA
- New Yorker editor David Remnick to Yediot: ‘I can’t take the Occupation anymore’
- Breaking the Silence’s landmark new book, now in English
- Following local pressure, Adidas reconsiders sponsorship of Jerusalem marathon
- Haaretz: "@NGOMonitor staffer banned from Wikipedia for bias and not revealing his place of work" | haaretz.com/news/features/… 1 day ago
- Israeli Deputy defense minister: This government will block any two-state deal toi.sr/18R04FP 1 week ago
- Glenn Beck: CNN interview with atheist tornado survivor was a setup! flip.it/EQTeS 3 weeks ago
- RT @YeshDin: Border Policemen handcuff a Palestinian for no cause in his vehicle, until he faints from the heat – then leave him http://t.… 3 weeks ago
- RT @YeshDin: Jews Exempted / Our security forces expose double standard: Tear gas is fired only at Palestinians | bit.ly/JewsExempted wi… 1 month ago
- Maariv publishes VIDEO of Israeli police beating Coptic priests near Church of Holy Sepulchre | youtu.be/TG9aOzVeK1A 1 month ago
- RT @YeshDin: IDF officer shocked by scene of cars set on fire by settlers & said he's ashamed. IDF has plenty to be ashamed of | http://t.c… 1 month ago
- RT @TheAtlanticWire: Ari Fleischer reminds everyone why Nazi comparisons are never good flip.it/b751t 1 month ago
- RT @YeshDin: הטרנספר שאין נוקבים בשמו: התוצאה של בניית המאחזים היא ביצוע טרנספר שקט blog.yesh-din.org/he/?p=193 1 month ago
- RT @YeshDin: The Population Transfer That Dares Not Speak Its Name: How "outposts" systematically drive Palestinians off Area C http://t.co… 1 month ago
- Inside the Israeli Settlement Enterprise al-monitor.com/pulse/original… 2 months ago
- RT @YeshDin: A new dynamic website explains how settlers & IDF work together to drive Palestinian farmers off their land | http://t. ... 2 months ago
- RT @MeravMichaeli: שַׂחֲקִי כִּי בָאָדָם אַאֲמִין, כִּי עוֹדֶנִּי מַאֲמִין בָּךְ. facebook.com/MichaeliMerav/… 2 months ago
- The Knesset's Feminist Fighter thebea.st/ZpAAsT via @thedailybeast 2 months ago
- RT @YeshDin: The Quiet Terror: Settlers couldn’t terrorize the Palestinians w/o the presence of the IDF | New post by @YGurvitz http://t ... 2 months ago
- Jerusalem police detain women at Western Wall for wearing tallit haaretz.com/jewish-world/j… 2 months ago
- RT @YeshDin: A Palestinian is attacked by famous settler. Police detain Palestinian, but not settler, b/c it’s already Shabbat | http:// ... 2 months ago
- RT @YeshDin: פלסטיני הותקף על ידי מתנחל ידוע בחברון. המשטרה עצרה את הפלסטיני אבל לא את המתנחל -- כי השבת כבר נכנסה bit.ly/YdO27g 2 months ago
- How Metafilter Brought a Deceased Father's Jokes Back to Life flip.it/qTyXP 2 months ago
- RT @YeshDin: / The strange case of the soldiers in the empty outpost & what it tells us about what's done in our name / @YGurvitz ht ... 2 months ago
- Sheizaf: Liberal Jews and Israel -- A case of split personality disorder
- Settler Rabbi publishes "The complete guide to killing non-Jews" -- UPDATED
- Rabbi Ovadia Yosef on Muslims: “Their religion is as ugly as they are”
- Maariv: Targeted boycott and divestment pushing companies out of the settlements
- Maariv: Did Rahm Emanuel cancel his son's Kotel Bar Mitzvah following threats from Kahanists?
- 1948 (4)
- Anti-Semitism and Hasbara (7)
- Christian Zionism (3)
- Diplomacy (117)
- Direct Action (25)
- Foreign Funding of Israeli Right (14)
- Freedom of the Press (3)
- Gaza (8)
- Hasbara (35)
- Human Rights and Jewish Values (9)
- IDF (21)
- Impunity (14)
- Iran (1)
- Israeli Neoconservatism (36)
- Jerusalem (27)
- Jewish Fundamentalism (29)
- One State Reality (10)
- Racism in Israel (5)
- Religious Freedom (10)
- Satire (3)
- Settlement Freeze (17)
- Settler Violence (14)
- Suppression of Dissent (68)
- Syria (2)
- Uncategorized (8)
- Video (3)
- West Bank Law Enforcement (19)